Miqdad Annab in Washington DC Sept 56

10 October, 2010

I Miss You Like the Deserts Miss the Rain

Death unexpectedly knocked on the door and stole someone I was never prepared to lose. I never thought or even imagined my father could really die since I hadn't lived a single day without him being a part of my life. Now comes a new existence, sharing something with so many others who have experienced this sort of loss before me. I now know what it means and how much it hurts to lose someone you love so dear. Death is the one thing we are all bound to experience, but no one ever prepares us for it...

Baba, Saturday, 11 September 2010
There are many times I think of my dad these days and I can't believe he's gone. There are moments during the day when I want to pick up the phone and call him, then I remember that he won't be answering his phone even if I did call. Sometimes I need his advice and realize that he's not around to ask. These moments are becoming less frequent since the notion that he's 6 feet under is the very next thought that crosses my mind. Which leads me to think that it's just not fair that he's been taken away. When I see the pictures of him taken just 6 days before he passed away, I think that it's impossible that he's not with us. He is so alive in those pictures, and his memory is still so fresh in my mind. Is there really nothing I can do to make him come back, are you sure he's not going to drive up in his car and walk through the door? Is it really impossible to turn back time?!!

I miss you, Dad. I miss hearing your footsteps in the morning in the kitchen upstairs. I miss smelling your cologne when you go to work. I miss your laugh, your wit and your sarcasm. I miss your opinions about this shallow society. I miss hearing your thoughts on the political situation. I miss suffering through the lame action flicks you so loved to watch every night after dinner. I miss seeing you passed out in your chair with the cat sitting above your head while watching TV. I miss seeing your socks being hung out to dry, and the shoes you used to wear in the workshop. I miss hearing the sound of the power saw or the hammer while you were working on something in the workshop. I miss your curved thumbs, your salt and pepper hair, the age spots dotted around your face. I miss seeing your face. There are so many things to miss about you Dad...
 
 And life goes on for the living.

No comments:

Post a Comment